Reduce your risk, Increase your confidence on the water

West Coast Powerboat Handling since 1994.


The Pleasure Craft Operator Card, also known as a PCOC, is proof of competency under the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations.

As of September 15, 2009 any person operating any powered recreational boat must have proof of competency.


Proof of previous training (until 03/31/1999) such as Canadian Power Squadron or Sail Canada, (CYA) courses.


If you are taking the SVOP certificate, you do not need a PCOC as the SVOP certificate is a much higher standard.

For small non-pleasure vessels:

Passenger vessels, 6 or less passengers and 8 m. or less in length, operating in Sheltered Waters, a PCOC is the minimum requirement.

Work Boat, 8 m. or less, less than 2 nautical miles from shore in Near Coastal, Class 2 or in Sheltered Waters, PCOC is the minimum requirement.

For further details, see the FAQ page.

Boating License Canada

Affiliate link

A Transport Canada Recognized Institution for
MED A3 and SVOP courses.

Recognized Examiner for

Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
and CPS-ECP. 

Sail Canada - Senior Powerboat Instructor Evaluator and Member School.

United Steelworkers(IWA) Canada